Lest people think that Germany in its outright opposition to war with Iraq is not doing their "fair share" in the world situation, please be aware that they have the second greatest number of peacekeeping forces active in the world at this moment. They are also leading the peacekeeping operations in Kabul, Afghanistan - a position that they volunteered for. Deploying forces at overseas at all is a new thing for Germans after WWII and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder took some big political risks in doing this in support of the U.S. following 9/11. Furthermore, what the present deployments are also a strain on Germany's already weak economy.
Nero Fiddling - Stopping a Despot
There is a man who is threatening America and the world. Are you going to just sit there while Rome burns? Here's the case for action.
Where's the Support?
Bush is losing allies fast! Even in the 8 EU countries that signed the letter supporting war with Iraq, the citizens are overwhelmingly opposed and some of the governments are beginning to rebel against the leaders who signed the letter. Russia is now aligning itself with France and Germany. China is against the war now. Turkey, where over 95% of the populace appear to oppose the war has given a little support, but only after being bought by a $4 billion promise from the U.S. and perhaps permission to occupy the Kurdish part of Iraq. Here is a partial and rapidly expanding list of United States governmental bodies that have come out in opposition to Bush's Iraq policies.
- Working Too Hard?
- If the American economic system is so great, how come Americans work so hard with less and less benefit? Some nations have similar or better standards of living, with the average worker putting in less hours per week while getting two to three times the vacation time of the average American worker.
- Alternatives to War
- There are clear and effective alternatives to war in most instances. They have a long history of working, but peace doesn't make the headlines and the history books tend to focus on wars. The discretionary budget of the U.S. spends more money on the military than it does on the country that the military is supposed to defend. Why is there no Department of Peace?
- Why Don't They Like Us?
- Many Americans have a hard time understanding why so many in the world hate them. Actually they don't, the people are often very liked. It's the government and businesses that are considered the problem. If you take a good look it may be very easy to see why.
- What is Security?
- A strong military at the top of most people's list for making a country secure, but this view is likely lead to dramatically less security. There is something called soft power that is being essentially ignored by the present U.S. government that matters much more. We also need to look at the basic infrastructure for essential goods and services. In most nations that infrastructure is very vulnerable.
- Attacking Iraq - The Unasked Questions
- Before such an extreme action, have you really considered the costs and all of the possible outcomes?